Without even noticing, my 101 in 1001 deadline has come and gone. I'm reposting the list, along with my notes.
In total, I completed 60 of the tasks as written, which is hardly a stunning percentage, but not entirely far off from my university GPA, so at the very least you could say I'm consistent. Except you couldn't because I proved particularly incapable of doing tasks that required doing things over time, like seeing a movie every month, doing a crossword puzzle every month, cooking a recipe a week for two months, etc.
And now, a new list?
1. Learn to ride a horse [Completed 10/11/06]
2. Go to Paris [Completed 16/12/05]
3. Sell a photograph
4. Go to Jerusalem [Completed 19/04/05]
5. Buy a digital SLR camera [Completed 17/08/05 - Canon EOS 350XT]
6. Meet a boy [Completed c. 15/02/06 - M, with whom I'm now living in Munich]
7. Go to culinary school - I'm marking this complete although I didn't attend a formal school. I did, however, attend at least a dozen cooking classes with some of Israel's top chefs.
8. Be a blonde (again) [Completed 22/01/05]
9. Read The DaVinci Code [Completed 24/01/05]
10. Lose 5 lbs.
11. Join a gym
12. Knit a scarf
13. Spend a stupid amount of money on one pair of shoes [Completed 2/01/06 ($142.62USD and so what if they were spiffy Adidas running shoes and not sexy stilettos?)]
14. Go to Ireland (*waves at heewee!*) - I did not go to Ireland. I did, however, go to Spain (Madrid, Mallorca), Italy (Sardinia, Tuscany), Switzerland, Germany and Austria during this period.
15. Live on my own (again)[Completed 23/02/05]
16. Climb a rock wall [Completed 16/04/05]
17. Bake a layered cake [Completed 31/12/04 - Nigella's Autumn layer cake.]
18. Learn to appreciate red wine (this one might be my downfall) - I can now drink a glass or two without wanting to spit it out, which I think qualifies. There are some I even quite enjoy (Dalton's Canaan, particularly)!
19. Learn to swim freestyle
20. Grow my own herbs [Started 11/03/2005 - Mint, oregano, thyme, sage, and rosemary, so far]
21. Learn to scuba dive - No scuba diving, but I did go snorkeling which was awesome.
22. Borrow a book from a library
23. Return a book to the library by its due date
24. Obtain a local credit card [Completed 13/01/05 - Banks are the devil.]
25. Get a cat [Completed (x2) 4/05/05]
26. Name it Schnitzel [ibid]
Or And Kiwi [ibid]
28. Go to a movie solo [Completed 1/05/05 - The Wedding Date]
29. Go camping (shut up, eyeball!) [Completed 15-16/04/05], also camped my way through Sardinia and Tuscany. Who knew they had hot running water in campsites?
30. Cook a whole chicken
31. Make a Challah cover
32. Wear a halter top
33. Learn to use a sewing machine
34. Sew myself an item of clothing
35. Be part of a television studio audience [Filming of Rechov Sumsum, the Israeli Sesame Street. And so what if the audience was me, the filming crew and the two children of the head writer? It still counts!]
36. Learn to drive stick - Started 11/11/06, a bumpy start if you will, but a start nonetheless... [Completed 28/09/07 - drove home by myself from the airport, on the autobahn, no les.]
37. Learn to drive a scooter - I've ridden as a passenger on a motorcycle. I now own a helmet and a padded leather jacket. No scooters, however.
38. Reopen sixth ear piercing - Sort of, as 5th piercing also closed, decided to forgo third pair altogether. I'm all about symmetry
39. Wear earrings in all
40. Buy pretty Michal Negrin earrings - [Completed 14/12/05, 2 pairs]
41. Make cream-filled, chocolate-topped profiteroles
42. Kiss a boy on New Year's Eve [Completed 31/12/2006]
43. Whiten my teeth [Started 01/01/05 - Crest White Strips 7 day program]
44. Get stylish glasses (sun or other) - [Completed 07/05, needing to be redone as I cracked the lens about 2 weeks later][Redone][And once more]
45. Make flavoured vinegar
46. Using my home-grown herbs
47. Decline a wedding invitation [Completed 22/08/05]
48. See at least one movie a month at the theatre [January: Ocean's 12/Alfie, May: The Wedding Date, June: Monster-in-Law]
49. Go to a psychic.
50. Watch all movies Oscar-nominated for best movie in 2004 and 2005 [2004:
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King/ Lost in Translation/ Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World/ Mystic River/ Seabiscuit 2005: The Aviator/ Finding Neverland/ Million Dollar Baby/ Ray/ Sideways] [Completed 4/7/05]
51. Start running - [Started August 2006, have gone out about 4 times. Still too tenuous to consider complete, but definitely in progress. After running 2k the other day, my boyfriend said - only 40 more to go! (He's under the impression we're running the NYC marathon next year).][Stopped September 2006. Started again January 2007.]
52. Participate in a race - nearly ran the Geneva half-marathon, but a case of plantar fasciitis sidelined that event.
53. Read 150 books - I stopped keeping track of the books I read. I read a lot, and chances are that I reached that figure, but we'll never know.
54. Keep reading list [Started 04/01/05]
55. Learn to make a cappuccino with an apple on top
56. Go bowling
57. Visit museum [Completed 04/01/05 - Tel Aviv Museum]
58. Get a museum membership [Completed 04/01/05 - Tel Aviv Musem]
59. Read about photography
60. Learn to program the VCR [Marking as complete as a. I have no VCR and b. I knew how to program my last one]
61. Get bangs in my hair [Completed around 10/02/05]
62. Do laundry once a week for three months [Completed around 25/09/05]
63. Wear funky socks [Completed 06/12/06, if by fancy you mean not plain black, but rather brown with cool blue swirly pattern.]
64. Redesign my site - [Completed 30/12/05]
65. Go out with a friend at least once a week for a month - [Completed - I've been a social butterfly in the summer of 2006]
66. Subscribe to Donna Hay magazine [Completed 27/08/05]
67. Figure out Israeli tax benefit and open appropriate tax plans
68. Go to a concert in Caesaria ampitheatre
69. Volunteer for a worthwhile cause [Started 8/02/05]
70. Learn to play pool
71. Get the black pants I bought at Gap last December (2003!) hemmed [Dropped off 28/03/05]
72. Frame my photos and hang them on walls
73. Do 100 situps a day for a week [Completed 29/01/05 - 04/02/05]
74. Buy a bed
75. Learn to use bitorrent [Completed 05/01/05]
76. Get a physical
77. Buy an expensive purse [Completed 09/06 - not exactly a purse, but a $160 camera bag from Crumpler certainly counts]
78. Purchase music from iTunes[Completed 28/03/05 - Crowded House]
79. Watch all Lord of the Ring movies:
Fellowship of the Ring 18/06/05 / The Two Towers 22/06/05 / Return of the King 25/06/05.
80. Watch the first season of 24[Started 10/01/05 - Completed, uh, sometime after 10/01/05]]
81. Throw a fancy dinner party - [Completed 14/07/06]
82. Buy flowers every week for a month - [Completed April 06]
83. Eat a meal at "Catit"* - [Completed 06/07/07]
84. Successfully bake a passionfruit tart - [Completed... can't recall, at A & A's house, using the awesome recipe from the Orna and Ella cookbook]
85. Go for a walk in the rain (intentionally, rather than getting caught in downpour) [Completed 5/01/07 - actually went out for a run while it was pouring, which very much counts in my mind. Repeated the exercise 6/01/07.]
86. Make a charitable donation [Completed on a couple of occasions. Most Recent to Israeli Society for the Blind]
87. Register with a political party - [Completed (can't remember date), The Israeli Green Party]
88. Do a crossword puzzle a month. Possibly in Hebrew.
89. Play a board game other than monopoly
90. Receive a bouquet of flowers from a boy - [Completed 19/06/06 (squee!)]
91. Cook a recipe a week from my cookbook collection (and not from the net) for two months.
92. Get whisks and dough hook for hand-me-down Kenwood mixer - [Completed 25/08/06]
93. Make donoughts for Hannukah - [Completed 31/12/05]
94. Wear a watch[Started 27/02/05]
95. Create a photo log for this site (or, um, find someone to do it for me) - Completed c. May 2007. Thanks, flickr plugin gallery thinger!
96. Get a scanner [Completed 12/10/95 - HP PSC 1315 All In One]
97. Go to a play [Completed 03/05 (can't recall exact date), Stephen Belber's "Match", adapted by the Beit Lessin Theatre.]
98. Get an Israeli driver's license
99. Get hold of a car and go on a road trip from one end of the country to the other
100. Start and document a photography project
101. Watch the sun rise from Masada